Our Tiger Moth DH82A (s/n EM 945) was built at Cowley in England in 1943 by Morris Motors (the same company who built Morris cars). The aircraft was then commissioned into the Royal Navy in England as a training aircraft.
In 1952 the Tiger was placed on the British Civil Register. In 1953 the aircraft was shipped to New Zealand and registered ZK-BBF and operated in the aerial agricultural industry as a crop duster but did not see a great deal of service due to a couple of crashes and spent a period of time in hangars.
In 1991 Mr Ivan Unwin of Yeppoon (formally Mackay) purchased the Tiger Moth with the aim of restoring the aircraft. In 1994 the Mackay Tiger Moth required a replacement aircraft and purchased the aircraft from Mr Unwin. By this time the aircraft had only flown a total of just under 1000 hours.
The Museum painted the Tiger a bright yellow colour being the base colour used by the RAAF on their training Tiger Moths during the Second World War.
In January 2000 the Tiger Moth Museum adopted the RAAF markings A17-302 of a Tiger Moth which was flown by S/L Fred Christensen of Mackay and operated at the following locations:
1941 – Central Flying School – Camden NSW
1942 – No 5 Elementary Flying Training School – Narromine NSW
1943 – No 8 Elementary Flying Training School – Narrandera NSW
1944 – No 7 Elementary Flying Training School – Western Junction TAS
In January 2000 the Museum’s Tiger Moth was christened the “City of Mackay” by Mayor Cr. Julie Boyd to reinforce its local identity as a community owned aircraft operated by a group of volunteers.
VH-CYA (Our Newer Tiger Moth)
In November 2010 the Museum purchased a second Tiger Moth VH-CYA and flew it from Luskintyre in May 2011 to Mackay. Where it was christened “David and Irie Dalrymple” by David and Irie Dalrymple on the 24th of July 2011.
VH-CYA: DH 82A Constructor’s number 986, built to RAAF ordered as A17-551.
The aircraft was then commissioned into the Royal Australian Air Force and delivered with long-range fuel tanks to 2 Aircraft depot Richmond on 29.06.1942 and its history is as follows:
1942 – Served with 34 Sqn at Manbulloo
1942 – Blown over in a violent local wind storm Manbulloo
1942 – Repaired at 1 RSU Manbulloo
1942 – Dispatched by road and rail to GAL Parafield for further repair
1943 – 5 Elementary Flying Training School Narromine for storage
1943 – 1 Rescue and Communications Squadron Milne Bay
1943 – 1 Rescue and Communications Squadron Goodenough Island
1943 – 8 Communications Unit Goodenough Island
1944 – 13 Aircraft / Airframe Repair Depot Breddan
1944 – 34 Squadron Doctors Gully for communications use by 76 Wing
1945 – 14 Aircraft / Airframe Repair Depot Gorrie
1945 – 10 Elementary Flying Training School Temora for storage
1946 – Care and Maintenance Unit Temora
1947 – 2 Aircraft Depot Richmond
1952 – DeHavilland Aircraft Pty Ltd Bankstown for overhaul
1952 – Base Squadron East Sale
1953 – Crashed at East Sale
1954 – 2 Aircraft Depot Richmond
1955 – 1 Aircraft Depot Detachment Tocumwal for storage
1955 – 1 Basic Flying Training School Uranquinty
1956 – 1 Aircraft Depot Detachment B Tocumwal for storage
1957 – Listed for disposal and Issued to purchaser
1958 – Registered as VH-CYA
Stayed in N.S.W. For many years around Gilgandra and used as a crop duster. Eventually retired from work and restored by private owners to it’s present condition.